Port complete \o/

Aleix Pol aleixpol at kde.org
Mon Feb 2 15:56:29 UTC 2015

On Sun, Feb 1, 2015 at 8:46 PM, Martin Klapetek
<martin.klapetek at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 1, 2015 at 10:03 AM, Aleix Pol <aleixpol at kde.org> wrote:
>>

>> > Given that according to our - yet still unpublished due to David's
>> > laziness
>> > - vision, we understand ourselves as closely related to Plasma, wouldn't
>> > it
>> > make more sense to release as part of Plasma in the future, rather than
>> > Applications?
>>
>> Bump. Should we move this discussion over to kde-devel? Or just go for
>> Applications?
>

> Applications, sure. But personally I remain unconvinced that an IM client
> is more important than a file manager, picture viewer or text editor, which
> are all not part of Plasma-the-package-that's-being-shipped.
>
> Regardless of what's stated in the vision, I think this should be viewed
> from "the other side", from the Plasma side. And that would be a "why
> does Plasma have IM client and not a basic file manager or picture
> viewer" question, so imo in makes little sense to go with Plasma...
>
> Cheers

>From my point of view, it's more like:
- KTp only works on Plasma. (Sure you can compile it mostly anywhere,
but it sucks at integration).
- A common interest for KTp development is providing a feature-full IM
service for Plasma.

Therefore, if we think about it from the Promo perspective, I can imagine:
- With Plasma 5.32 the Plasma users will be able to send blorgons from
the system tray.
- Since KDE Applications 22.4, Plasma 5.31 users will be able to send
blorgons from the system tray of their Plasma shell.

Am I making any sense?
Aleix