Future of Telepathy

Diane Trout diane at ghic.org
Wed Dec 30 07:30:12 UTC 2015

On Tuesday, December 29, 2015 02:43:31 PM Martin Klapetek wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Wed, Dec 23, 2015 at 9:59 PM, Diane Trout <diane at ghic.org> wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > It looks like telepathy-gabble, telepathy-glib, empathy, and the telepathy
> > specification are all now unmaintained.
> >
> > Collabora seems to think that since all the activity still happening on
> > the
> > Telepathy front is by KDE maybe we should managing things.
>
> I'm sorry to say this but we barely manage to fix bugs and
> implement features in KTp itself these days. In other words,
> unless a bunch of whole new developers show up, we have
> no capacity to manage Telepathy itself in the foreseeable
> future.

I'm getting the impression that most of the work maintaining KDE is being done
by a handful of people, and you're all quite busy fixing more core desktop
components.

> > I want a desktop IM client to still exist so I certainly would like KTP &
> > Telepathy to continue to exist.
> >
> > Any thoughts about what we should do?
> >
> > There are certainly useful patches floating around in the freedesktop bug
> > tracker that need to be reviewed and released.
>
> Best I think would be to get a freedesktop.org git account
> and simply commit the patches, then do a new release of
> mission-control and gabble. Not sure if you'll be able to get
> any reviewers though. On the other hand, if someone has
> submitted a patch, you can actually act as a reviewer and
> accept the patches.

I'm working on getting access. I was planning on poking the previous Collabora
maintainers again after the new year.

But even if I do get everything reasonably merged, at some point I'm going to
need opinions from more experienced Telepathy devs about changes to the spec.
Though theres no need for you to worry about that until I actually have code
merged that needs Telpathy API changes. (For example message carbons might
need some changes).