WIP Facebook SimpleCm

Thomas Pfeiffer thomas.pfeiffer at kde.org
Sun Apr 5 22:13:08 UTC 2015

On Sunday 05 April 2015 23:07:11 Martin Klapetek wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 5, 2015 at 10:58 PM, Aleix Pol <aleixpol at kde.org> wrote:
> > We'll see how this will get released, for the moment, having something
> > working is our biggest worry I'd say.
> >
> > I wouldn't see a bad thing if KDE is responsible for the release though.
> > Why?
>
> The "us" means "KTp" here I believe, with which I agree. I don't care if
> it's released
> by KDE though, that is perfectly fine, if it a) needs a release and b) if
> it does not
> break some laws and stuff; it's reverse engineered thing after all.
>
> Cheers

Yes, exactly, "us" meant "KTp". The fact that proprietary APIs (and even more
so HTML parsing hacks) may change at any point, breaking KTp components that
rel on them, was one of the central reasons why KTp chose to focus on open
protocols in our vision. So that we can say "Sorry, user, Facebook is not our
focus, so please do not demand from us to make it work".

Of course whether things are released/maintained by KDE as a whole has to be
decided by KDE as a whole, but KTp should stay clear of having to play catch-
up with Facebook's HTML structure.

But yes, of course making it work in the first place is problem #1