KAccounts plans

Martin Klapetek martin.klapetek at gmail.com
Wed Oct 29 16:07:11 UTC 2014

Hey all,

here's the current status of KAccounts and the future plans.

KAccounts itself is pretty much ready to roll. It's waiting for a release
because there was a slight screw up in the translations, but will be
released shortly (basically just entering string freeze so ~2 weeks).

One unresolved thing for now is KAccounts provider files for telepathy-haze
accounts. Basically each account in KAccounts requires a provider file with
basic description (eg. Jabber) and a service file which lists the available
services (eg. Chat). In KTp we have fake profiles for haze so they
magically appear in the current kcm, for KAccounts we cannot have fake
provider files, so provider and service files need to be created for all
haze supported accounts. I plan to put this in ktp-accounts-kcm and install
it together with the other data.

In order to have KTp using KAccounts, three patches need to get in (please
review the last two):
https://git.reviewboard.kde.org/r/119955/
https://git.reviewboard.kde.org/r/120521/
https://git.reviewboard.kde.org/r/120215/

Once all three all ship it'd, I'll merge all three at once. That will
effectively require you to have the following present:
libaccounts-glib
libaccounts-qt
signond
kde:signon-kwallet-extension
signon-plugin-oauth2
lp:signon-ui
kde:kaccounts-providers
kde:kaccounts-integration

Details for setting all up at http://bit.ly/1xEpylg

Migration - automated migration will not be possible for all accounts, like
Google and Facebook, because currently we're using the password based
authentication, but KAccounts for Google and Facebook uses/needs OAuth
authentication, so it cannot just be migrated directly. As for other
accounts, I'm not sure if it's possible to get into kde4 kwallet data from
KF5, anyone knows? For regular jabber accounts and some other haze ones I
think a simple migration agent recreating the accounts in KAccounts could
be part of the KAccounts daemon. Another question is history logs
migration, I think this will be quite wanted feature. I /think/ that by
simple recreating the account in Telepathy the logs will remain (as the
accounts have the same id), can someone confirm?

I'd like to get this in asap as frameworks ports are appearing and this
critical new piece of the infrastructure should get a lot of testing before
KTp on frameworks is released.

And that should be all now.

Cheers
--