OTR support for KTp

Marcin Ziemiński brentprey at gmail.com
Wed May 21 20:54:16 UTC 2014

Hi!

My name is Marcin Ziemiński and I am this year’s GSOC student for KDE
Telepathy.
I am currently studying Theoretical Computer Science at Jagiellonian
University.

My primary goal for this summer is adding support for OTR protocol in KTp,
what will enable both end-to-end encryption of text messages and peer
authentication. I believe that thanks to cooperation with my brilliant
mentors: David Edmundson and Sandro Knauß, I will introduce a reliable
solution without negative effects on user experience.

Prior to the current Google Summer of Code I was playing around with
TelepathyQt writing connection managers, however, alienated from the
community. I hope that with this project I will contribute significantly to
the open-source world.

Today together with my mentors we had a meeting regarding main goals of
this project.
At the moment, we agree on the following set of basic features to introduce
in KTp:

   - encryption of text channels with OTR protocol
   - ability to generate and reset private keys separately for every account
   - set of OTR policies to choose (always, opportunistic, manual, never)
   and an option to start OTR session instantly if contact has a verified
   fingerprint
   - three ways of peer authentication (shared secret, question/answer and
   manual fingerprint verification)
   - ability to manage known fingerprints for every account, namely
   removing and verifying them manually
   - possibly a way to exchange fingerprints between different
   apps/instances
   - access to the state of the conversation (unencrypted, encrypted but
   unverified, encrypted and verified, finished)
   - toggling on and off logging of messages during encrypted conversation.
   Both globally and per chat window.
   - ability to stop or restart OTR session manually

Regards,

Marcin