Where to put Conversation and MessagesModel?

Martin Klapetek martin.klapetek at gmail.com
Mon Jan 27 14:10:29 UTC 2014

On Sun, Jan 19, 2014 at 11:28 PM, David Edmundson <
david at davidedmundson.co.uk> wrote:

> Do we still want to keep Widgets split?

I was wondering how many parts of KTp actually link to widgets, here's a
list:

ktp-send-file
ktp-contact-list
ktp-text-ui/app
ktp-call-ui/src/dialout
ktp-desktop-applets/presence
ktp-desktop-applets/contact

Given presence applet is linking to it and thus loading it when it starts
(it opens various dialogs from context menu), meaning the widgets library
is always loaded into memory while the desktop is running, I think it makes
not much sense to have these split out, it doesn't save anything. Maybe
actually take more resources as it loads two so's instead of one? But that
would be so marginal difference that it's probably not worth considering.

So it boils down to mostly semantic reasons - it makes sense to have the
widgets (and logger) in separate libraries semantically, but if we're
merging logger back, then let's merge widgets too, imho no point this one
staying "outside".

In theory it will reduce dependencies for ktp-active, though I image
> active has widget dependency.

The presence applet uses KConfigDialog and KMessageBox, so it has to has a
dependency on widgets anyway, unless Active will use different presence
thinggy.

Cheers
--
Martin Klapetek | KDE Developer