Sprint Planning

David Edmundson david at davidedmundson.co.uk
Fri Apr 4 10:13:14 UTC 2014

KTp Sprint Planning

I've been to bad sprints where people just sit alone working alone
which they can do from anywhere. We need to make sure we make full use
of the sprint and make it the best sprint ever. It probably will be.

I want to have a few group discussions with everyone (see below) and
I'd like for us all to spend a lot of the time hacking on mini
projects in small groups of 2-3 people. I've put up some ideas, but
obviously you can work on whatever you like.

Discussions:
 - Where do we want to be in n years.
We can all share and present our potentially crazy dreams, ideas and
goals. This should probably be done in the evening on the sofa with
some beers :)

 - Boosting development.
Development has slowed a bit in recent months we need this to pick up,
some new people and some of the existing devs to step into
maintainership roles maybe?

 - KF5 Porting, Tp 1.0 Porting
How do we manage these two at once? What impact will each have? What
timeframes are we looking at?

Mini project ideas:

 - Getting our entire stack compiled and running on Telepathy 1.0
   This means a bit of work in TpQt, and getting all this ready to be
merged upstream into a branch

 - KDE Frameworks porting. Getting our applets up and running on Plasma Next

 - Pimping the Call UI.
   Our Call UI looks like it's from the late 90s. I want it pimped and
to be a central feature of our next release anouncement .
   Thomas and including the VDG would be good here. Can people please
install QtGstreamer1.0 before the sprint
(http://community.kde.org/KTp/Tasks/NewCallUI) so we can do some
testing.

 - Writing unit tests and merging the serverside bindings upstream and
making a TpQt release
   This will be about as exciting as it sounds.

 - KDE Connect SMS support.
   For the task above we'll be writing a basic CM for the Tp examples
folder with signals for new messages being sent and a slot for
sending. From here it would be a good base for someone to maybe add
this (hint?)

 - Better group chat support
   I've heard people from two corporations now say KTp sucks for
jabber conference rooms.
   I want _everyone_ here to create a kdetalk.net account and join me
in ktp at conference.kdetalk.net for the duration of the sprint. Then we
can see what sucks, and try and fix it.

 - Now Playing / KDED Module rewrite
   I am sick of this 300 line bit of code is constantly having bugs
after bugs and hundreds of people poke it.

 - Profiling startup times.

 - Bug fixing.

Misc:
  I will provide ice cream on the weekend

If you have any questions, or have anything else you think we need to
talk about as a group, let us know.

David