Building up to the 0.7 Release

Thomas Pfeiffer colomar at autistici.org
Tue Sep 10 12:05:50 UTC 2013

On 10.09.2013 13:38, David Edmundson wrote:
> We have a few things to decide before the 0.7 beta.
>
> Last release I put lots of promo/spoilers into the 0.6 beta
> announcement in order to encourage lots of people to test. Then we
> just copied it for the real announcement on the dot.
>
> I think this worked out and plan to do the same this time. Any comments?
>

> What are we going to do with libkpeople?
>
> Do we advertise it as a preview or advertise it as the greatest thing
> ever?, Do we encourage distros to package with it or not?
>
> libkpeople and the nepomuk feeder are still in playground. In theory
> this is a problem. Any distro that has any sort of sensible policy
> should not be packaging random wares from playground in the main repo
> - but many seem to do so anyway.
>
> In general I'm now quite happy with it. I don't get the crashes - but
> it definitely has some rough edges. I want to move this forward, but I
> don't want to taint our stable software.
>
> I would _really_ appreciate feedback of how well libkpeople works for
> you, and your opinions on how we take this.

Isn't testing what a beta is for? I'd recommend to try to get as many
people as possible to test the beta with libkpeople, then based on the
feedback from the beta test we can decide whether to ship 0.7 with or
without it by default.
People who install betas expect things to break here and there, so it
wouldn't taint KTp's reputation if there were problems.