Handling of SMS messages

Thomas Pfeiffer colomar at autistici.org
Fri Sep 6 11:06:09 UTC 2013

On Tuesday 03 September 2013 00:34:17 Anant Kamath wrote:
> The rationale behind fetching all messages from the modem store everytime
> upon (the account) going online is :
> 1) To make the interface similar to (smart)phones wherein I can typically
> always see the  entire message threads between me and contacts. (Unlike
> say, FB or google chat where previous conversation history is not displayed
> in text-ui).

We should not aim to be consistent with other SMS apps, but with other IM
protocols in KTp. Right now in other protocols only the last few messages are
shown, so it should be the same with SMS. I just heard that there are plans to
implement an actual _scrollback_ function (i.e. scrolling back gives you
SMS as well, but diverging from how other protocols are handled does not make
sense.
Especially since I assume that with KPeople, SMS and IM messages will be
combined into one strweam for seamless communication in the future, so
handling the two differently would be a problem.

> This is all assuming that we agree that displaying the entire message
> thread (history) in text-ui for SMS messages is the right way to go.
> Is there a better alternative?

As written above, I do not agree that showing all messages is the way to go.
As for making sure that no message is missed, I think the suggested synching
with the log makes sense.