KPeople Review

Vishesh Handa me at vhanda.in
Sun Mar 10 14:12:21 UTC 2013

On Sun, Mar 10, 2013 at 7:29 PM, David Edmundson <david at davidedmundson.co.uk
> wrote:

>> 4. PersonsData - It can just be a light wrapper over PersonItem and
>> ContactItem. They already have all the data. No point duplicate code.
>>
>> The logic of this (though it may be horrendously wrong) is we have many
> usecases in KTp as well as other potential KTp users where we need data for
> one contact and one contact only.
> Such as in our text-ui when chatting I want access to the person. I don't
> want to load the entire contact list. Same for when I see a file is tagged
> with a person in Dolphin.
>
> Duplicate code is bad, but querying 7000 contacts (for example) to get
> data on 1 is silly we do have a way to solve that.

Querying 7000 contacts to get 1 is very silly.

ContactItem can be initialized in 2 ways - One is by providing all the data
which is what the model does. Another way is by just providing the nepomuk
uri and then it will load all the data just for that 1 resource.

PersonData also fetches the data for just once resource. So, we can make
the PersonData use ContactItem without having to fetch 7000 contacts.

>> 7. Realtime loading of the contact list - Currently the query constructs
>> all the ContactItems when iterating over the query results, but it only
>> adds them at the end cause we need to group them properly. It might be
>> better from a user point of view to add them the moment they are
>> constructed. That way the user gets to see the contact list being populated
>> instead of having to stare at a blank screen for some time. In my case it
>> is about 7 seconds. Once the query is finished, then the contacts can be
>> re-arranged into people.
>

> Possibly.. though it's also bad to have everything jumping about like
> crazy for 7 seconds. I was under the impression this 7 seconds could be
> reduced significantly by only selecting IM contacts in the inital query?

You're quite right - I only have about 1000 IM Contacts (out of the 7000),
and that only takes 1 second to load. I was thinking of the case when
someone actually has a large number of IM contacts. Say 5000+. It would
take a good 5 seconds to show all of them.

> In my earlier email I said and I thought we had agreed on, offsetting the
> kpeople release by two weeks from 0.6.0. This is so we can promo it
> seperately and it will be generally less confusing to users and packagers
> than releasing two versions that have different features at the same time.
> Also I don't want my developers (me anyway) getting distracted from bug
> fixing before 0.6.0. There is a lot to fix.
>
> This also gives you more than 3 weeks.

Yup. My bad. So we have about 4-5 weeks.

--
Vishesh Handa