Pinned people change overtime

David Edmundson david at davidedmundson.co.uk
Sun Mar 3 04:23:29 UTC 2013

An update on this for the mailing list, because it's quite interesting.
There's a "new" pitfall in TpQt programming to watch out for.

Everyone was sort-of right.

My original comment "if you have a contact, and the connection goes down,
the data stays the same and never changes" is true. You can access id(),
avatar(), presence() etc.

Even the targetHandle() remains the same... and this is the cause of the
problem.

The targetHandle is an integer ID used to keep track of a contact, this is
NOT persistent between connections. TargetHandle is normally completely
internal to TpQt and we never use it so it's normally not a problem.
account->startChat() however does use this handle. This handle now refers
to a different contact, and we have the problem Aleix described.

If this code read account->ensureTextChat(contact->id()); this would
actually work - and we can ship that if I don't get my new patch done in
time.
This is why we don't have the same problem in the text-ui when we do a
reconnection, as we happen to use the the channel->targetID();

We still want to fix the model so that it gets the latest contact,

 - Everyone should be very careful when using contacts for which the
connection has dropped, especially if a new connection comes back.
 - KTp::ContactPtr has a nice invalidated() signal which is useful.
 - Using KTp::GlobalContactManager implicitly guards against this as the
accountForContact() will fail if the contact's connection is gone.
 - I'd like to change TpQt to set the handle to -1 when the
connectionManager gets outdated. We already have an open bug to set the
clientTypes() to empty when this happens. So this should be a trivial
addition.