RFC: Kill the contact applet plasmoid

David Edmundson david at davidedmundson.co.uk
Wed Jun 26 16:06:28 UTC 2013

On Wed, Jun 26, 2013 at 4:19 PM, Francesco Nwokeka <
francesco.nwokeka at gmail.com> wrote:

> me sad :(
>
> It was initially thought to have your fav. contact(s) on your plasma
> desktop to access them quickly without having to pass through the contact
> list.
>
> @David: what's wrong with the code? Can you point me out the bug so I can
> take a look at it before you scrap the whole thing?
>
> ContactWrapper has properties.. however instead of a notify signal on the
properties it emits a changed signal that someone else catches which then
invokes a function on the root object in QML that updates the contact...
it's all an incredibly over complex roundabout way of doing it.

There are functions being called to set a property when another property
changes, which are completely against the point of property bindings.

I didn't understand QML at the time I reviewed it. I don't think many of us
did, it was all rather new. So we have QML written like someone would write
C++.

Whilst I can fix it to work round each bug in turn, it's not maintainable
(or tbh maintained)

It can stay in if it can pass a d_ed code review by 0.7.

Sorry.

David