Models Moving Plan

David Edmundson david at davidedmundson.co.uk
Wed Jan 23 13:39:19 UTC 2013

We are about to enter phase 6

"6 - Share roles enum and names between ContactListModel (ours) and the
one from KPeople"

Question 1:

Mck182 has written a translationIdentityProxy that converts
PersonsRoles to KTp roles.
This allows KPeople to do it's own thing, whilst co-existing with KTp code.

Is this a quick hack, or a good medium-long term solution?

Question 2:

Roles are currently in the old class ContactsModel, I propose making a
KTp types.h file and having all roles as an enum there. Is this a good
idea?

Question 3:

There are a lot of roles that we don't need in the old model. I want
this list reduced to what we actually need and use, how should we go
about doing this?

Question 4:

Currently in the model we sometimes expose thing in mulltiple ways, In
particular presence. There are 5 roles for presence currently:

        PresenceRole,   ( a Tp::Presence object)
        PresenceIconRole, (icon for this presence type)
        PresenceStatusRole, (string)
        PresenceTypeRole, (presence type enum)
        PresenceMessageRole, (string)

Is this a bad thing? Given models are for portability should we drop
the PresenceRole? Should we drop all other 4 and leave the logic up to
the UI?