KDE Telepathy Error Notifications

Vishesh Handa me at vhanda.in
Thu Feb 21 21:55:34 UTC 2013

On Fri, Feb 22, 2013 at 3:14 AM, David Edmundson <david at davidedmundson.co.uk
> wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 21, 2013 at 8:52 PM, Vishesh Handa <me at vhanda.in> wrote:
>

>> On Fri, Feb 22, 2013 at 2:11 AM, Martin Klapetek <
>> martin.klapetek at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> ...is it going to reconnect? Or just show error and stay offline?

>>> I'd say show notification "we tried to reconnect 3 times, but no luck,
>>> staying offline, sorry".
>>>

>> I'm not completely sure I understand this, but if this is the same case
>> as I'm connected to the network but not the internet. Then how about
>> instead of trying 3 times, you try after an increasing time limit.
>>
>> Initially maybe after 10 seconds? 30 seconds, a minute? 5 minutes? Also,
>> more importantly, you show the user that you are now disconnected and
>> you'll be trying to connect again in <x> amount of time, AND allow the user
>> to say "Connect
>>

> I agree the reconnecting at the exponentially increasing intervals makes
> sense, but having 3 notifications per account in the first 100 seconds
> isn't an improvement.

Oh. I was just suggesting that we try to reconnect after that specified
time interval. Nothing about showing notifications. I don't think this
warrants a notification. If the user is using IM, he/she will notice when
it goes offline. Plus, other services which depend on the internet will
also go offline. This is nothing to bug the user about.

Instant messaging is not that important that you annoy me with a
notification about it. Under any circumstance.

--
Vishesh Handa