Pinned people change overtime

David Edmundson david at davidedmundson.co.uk
Tue Feb 19 13:21:50 UTC 2013

On Tue, Feb 19, 2013 at 12:31 PM, George Kiagiadakis <
kiagiadakis.george at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 19, 2013 at 2:24 PM, Aleix Pol <aleixpol at kde.org> wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I'm having a bit of a weird problem, since it's a bit long to explain, I
> > figured it would be better to explain it over the mailing list.
> >
> > As you'll know, we have this pinned contacts in the chat plasmoid. It
> stores
> > a KTP::ContactPtr and when I click the button I start a chat with this
> > contact.
> > Now the problem that I'm having is that when using it in my system I
> found
> > out that, after putting my laptop on suspend mode, when I click the
> pinned
> > contact a chat gets started with someone else.
> >
> > Do you think it could be that there's no identity integrity after an
> > offline/online cycle?
> > How do you think this should be fixed?
> >

> I think you shouldn't be storing ContactPtr. Contact objects are part
> of a certain Connection, so when the connection changes, weird things
> are likely to happen. You should store the contact id instead.

A contact object should not be changing what it represents when a
connection resets.
I don't think that is the case, otherwise we'd be getting a lot more errors
elsewhere. Text-ui retains a ContactPtr after going offline. It remains
valid.

Generally after a reset the original Tp::ContactPtr becomes useless; any
calls to manager() return 0 and it stops getting updated but it doesn't
turn into a different contact.

I would suspect the problem is in the
pinned-contacts-model/conversations-model before investigating elsewhere.
That entire area has been under a lot of development on top of experimental
code and needs a really good tidy up.

David