TLS Handler and stable release

David Edmundson david at davidedmundson.co.uk
Fri Feb 8 15:22:00 UTC 2013

On Fri, Feb 8, 2013 at 3:11 PM, Daniele E. Domenichelli <
daniele.domenichelli at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 08/02/13 16:04, David Edmundson wrote:
> >
> >     The lack of a TLS handler in 0.5 is in my opinion a quite big
> security
> >     bug, because in order to connect to a server with a self signed or
> >     expired certificate you have to disable ssl error checks, and
> therefore
> >     user is completely unprotected from man in the middle and similar
> >     attacks.
> >

> > This is *not true*.
> >
> > If we don't have a handler MC checks the certificate itself. If it's
> > valid it goes through, if it's invalid the channel is rejected.
> >
> > The problems are:
> >  - it uses the system certs, not KDE cert rules
> >  - If it's wrong we can't prompt the user.
> >
> > To test this, simply connect to a local prosody server without ticking
> > "ignore ssl errors", it blocks the connection
>

> Sorry, what I mean that _if you check the "ignore ssl errors" checkbox_
> then you are unprotected from attacks, we shouldn't probably even have
> that checkbox...

That part is true :)

At least at that point the user's made a consensual decision.
How much is that a problem in real life? I only have to do that on my local
prosody server, which isn't a real life problem.
It can also be worked round by copying the correct cert into the system
certificate folder manually.

I'd also be ok with removing the ignore-ssl-errors option in 0.6.