Chat behavior

David Edmundson david at davidedmundson.co.uk
Fri Nov 23 17:15:19 UTC 2012

On Fri, Nov 23, 2012 at 4:08 PM, Aleix Pol <aleixpol at kde.org> wrote:
> Hi,
> Right now, when you receive a chat message (and you don't have tha chat
> plasmoid ;)) you get a systray message. I don't really like this behavior
> because it doesn't help much, since you have to click it to know what's
> going on anyway.
>
> I'm sending this e-mail to know what's the idea behind it and see if we
> could do anything to simplify it.

It has the problem that Plasma notifications don't really make it very
obvious, and more importantly sometimes it just doesn't bother to show
our item.

>I guess we could open the chats automatically,

Having a window appear on top of everything you're doing will drive
you mental. It used to do that when I wrote the text-ui before the
approver existed. You won't want it, trust me. (remove the approver,
and try it for a week.)

> if we already have a chat window, at least.

Yeah we could do that.

> What do you think? Is there any use case for the systray icon that I'm
> missing?

The logic is to not block the user / pop things up randomly in front
of the screen.

I have draft code that shows icons in the contact list, when you have
new chats/messages.
I think this helps to fix it.