Name and mascot suggestion for telepathy-kde project

Jakub Lewi jakublewi at gmail.com
Sun May 20 23:43:18 UTC 2012

Hello,
If I remember correctly, some time ago, one of the devs asked people
for some suggestions regarding new name for telepathy-kde project. So
I've been thinking for some time and here are my thoughts:
- mascot/icon: a parrot could be a good mascot for an application
aimed at communicating with other people. Parrots make much noise,
they "speak" and are in general rather social creatures; an icon with
a parrot would look nice, for example when you receive a message the
parrot opens its bill:)
- name:
1.) It might be Scarlet (or Skarlet:)) after red parrot called in
English Scarlet Macaw (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scarlet_Macaw)
2.) My another suggestion is "Kakadu". In many European languages it's
a name for a Cockatoo parrot. I'm not sure if it's a catchy name for
native English speakers. I suggested this name a few years ago to Kadu
project devs (a polish communicator) but they said they won't change a
name of a well established application. The possible problem with
"Kakadu" is it's already used with JPEG library
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kakadu_%28software%29,
http://www.kakadusoftware.com/)
I'm also not sure if these names are proper since telepathy-kde is not
a simple communicator, but rather a big project.
OK that's all, thanks.