Suggestion about re-usable UI elements

Daniele E. Domenichelli daniele.domenichelli at gmail.com
Wed Mar 28 00:55:03 UTC 2012

On 28/03/12 01:59, David Edmundson wrote:
> I want to discuss this KPart business first (poke me on jabber). What
> I don't want is to have an app, (the collaborative editor for example)
> which only wants a cheeky little text chat widget in the corner
> suddenly to have a billion things littering the toolbars and menubars
> many some which won't really make a lot of sense and possibly even
> duplicate with the containing app. Though the current Text UI does
> need its public interface sorting out a bit.

Afaik we can have both... Anyway don't worry, we'll discuss it :D

>> Anyway for 0.5 I would like to have a "high level" public widget library
>> that uses ktp-common-internals internally, but exposing only "stable" stuff
>> and hiding all the models and contacts/metacontacts stuff. Basically the
>> stuff in the "KTp/Widgets" directory of ktp-common-internals (that depends
>> on the KTp and KTp/Models directories) should be public. For example the
>> grid widget can be modified so that the interface exposed won't change if we
>> change the model inside; What do you think?
>>
> Widgets are fine, and we are working towards that I think. Grid model
> is exposed and I have an open bug that a treeview needs go in there
> too.
> Less convinced on completely hiding the models (especially the filter
> model) to me isn't the right way. We'd have to expose every method in
> there to every UI view.. which is a lot of maintenance.

I agree, but imho we cannot expose the filtermodel until we have a
stable api but I think that we cannot have a stable api until we have
the .desktop files stuff for tubes services.

If you all agree, I think that as soon as we release 0.4 we should start
a new repo where we should move public stuff after a serious API review
and get it ready for 0.5 codenamed "stalls"

Daniele