Merging some repos?

Dario Freddi drf54321 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 22 02:39:04 UTC 2012

First of all - Dani, wtf.

Il 22 marzo 2012 03:20, Daniele E. Domenichelli
<daniele.domenichelli at gmail.com> ha scritto:
> %) Git allows submodules. You can make a ktp package without merging the
> repositories. Handling submodules is not really easy, but you can write some
> scripts and cmake custom targets for that. Using submodules you could update
> just one component. If you just want to do a "super-repo", imho that's the
> way to go... A super-repo that can build everything, but you can still build
> just one module.
>
> £) Submodules have also advantages. For example if you push something in
> ktp-common-internals and you need to update some other repositories, people
> will start complaining on irc that stuff is not building or doesn't work any
> more (trust me, 15 seconds are enough). If you have a repo with submodule
> you can push your changes to the submodules and then update the "meta"
> repository in just one commit without breaking anything.

^ This. I already proposed some days ago in IRC we created a sort of
meta-repos like qt5 does (check this repository:
http://qt.gitorious.org/qt/qt5 )

This approach has also multiple advantages, such as:

 * We can decide which commit each submodule will point to, so it's
safe ground for testers
 * Or we can allow people to fuck this and just get master of each repo
 * Qt already did the hard job for us and we just have to adapt our scripts
 * This approach preserves modularity but still allows to group quite
efficiently some/all repos.

That's all