KDE voice/video communication abstraction?

Emmanuel Lepage emmanuel.lepage at savoirfairelinux.com
Mon Jun 18 14:07:56 UTC 2012

Hi,

Thanks for replying. In SFLPhone, all media is done on the server side, so the client side is a light as it can possibly be. This allow us to have very good portability for embedded devices. To display video, the daemon simply share a framebuffer using POSIX shared memory. The implementation is only ~60 line long and work. It is not perfect yet, but it does work. We had the same discussions and problems you had, and it is the solution we took. Because:
-We avoid client side logic when unnecessary
-It is actually simple and portable
-It is not dependent on X11, it is a simple ARGB array with the buffer size and resolution pushed over dbus

The downside are:
-You have to be in sync or it will fall apart
-It bypass dbus, something we would have liked to avoid too

As for the CM, if we implement that http://telepathy.freedesktop.org/spec/Connection_Manager.html, http://telepathy.freedesktop.org/spec/Protocol.html and http://telepathy.freedesktop.org/spec/Channel.html as an alternative DBUS interface for the SFLPhone daemon, it should work (but not the video) as a telepathy protocol without any other modifications?

For the protocols, contacts need to be mirrored on the service side? So we would need a gnome+evolution and KDE+Akonadi implementation.