Skype account

Störm Poorun subs at olan.org
Thu Jun 14 22:03:08 UTC 2012

Skype, at minimum accessing IM messages and contacts, is a fundamental IM use for many users. Without it any IM services are of little use to them. Due to family and friends overseas, this includes me alas.

Adding Skype as a partly-supported service would massively widen Telepathy's audience. It's preferable to have Skype and all services running through a common interface, for example to keep all history logs in one place, and communicate with contacts (using meta-contacts) in a protocol-neutral manner. Most users are most interested in communicating than the protocol they are using to type a text message. Most don't wish to have to use two or more interfaces, it's hard enough tracking via various devices.

At present, Skype is working with Kopete and Pidgin, albeit with Skype running simultaeously in the background, that's hugely better than not having it at all imho.

I've tried unsuccessfully to add a Skype account in Telepathy-KDE, but to no avail. I've added SkypePidgin, and the various dependencies, including libpurple.

I note that last year, Florian Reinhard committed bigbrownchunkx-skype-dbus to the haze plugin. http://commit-digest.org/issues/2011-03-06/

Please could someone who knows comment as to progress, if any, else what is needed to progress the issue.

Many thanks.

--
Störm