KDE voice/video communication abstraction?

Emmanuel Lepage emmanuel.lepage at savoirfairelinux.com
Thu Jun 14 19:35:45 UTC 2012

Hello,

I am currently working full time on KDE related projects (see email references bellow) for the compagny I am working for. I am interested in providing a nice abstraction layer for voice/video communication for KDE, mostly for phone calls, but not limited. Mario Fux recommended me to ping this list, and I definitely want your feedback. As stated in the previous emails, there is some tiny bits of support for phone around KDE, but nothing consistent.

I think an abstraction layer with different backend like SFLPhone, Telepathy, native GSM chip or Skype would allow applications to better take advantage of available communication technologies. PIM applications are probably the ones with the most use cases, but if you think of KDE as a project more and more involved in the mobile space, communication become even more central part of the desktop.

What do you think about such and abstraction? Are there design requirement you think are necessary to make a telepathy backend? Do you see more use case?

Reference: http://mail.kde.org/pipermail/kde-hardware-devel/2012-June/001585.html
Reference: http://mail.kde.org/pipermail/active/2012-May/003773.html