RFC: Moving KWallet Password dialog into Plasma

Martin Gräßlin mgraesslin at kde.org
Fri Jul 20 15:58:04 UTC 2012

Hi all,

the problems around review request #105628 and getting KWallet's Password
dialog properly raised above the window it is asking the password for just
triggered a thought process.

The main problem here is that $service ask for a password through
$otherservice. This utterly fails because the $service is not linked directly
to a window which the window manager would need to properly stack the window.

Now if we think about it in most cases $service is actually a "system" service
which can be considered belonging to the workspace. E.g. checking for mail,
logging into your telepathy account and so on.

Providing a password safe and asking for the master password is also a
"system" service and should belong into the workspace.

So here my idea: let's move the password dialog into the desktop shell. Have
it as a so-called "persistent" notification popping out of the panel and be
shown on top of all other windows till the user either dismisses it or enters
the password.

I think this would solve most of our current issues. There would be one place
where the dialog is shown to ask for the password, it is visually clear that
it's a system service which asks for the password and not some random malware
and if several applications want to open the wallet this problem is also
nicely solved by e.g. saying "Mail Dispatcher Agent and Telepathy need to
unlock the wallet".

So what do you think?

Best Regards
Martin Gräßlin