Add syntax for changing global presence - keywords

David Edmundson david at davidedmundson.co.uk
Wed Jul 11 13:40:28 UTC 2012

We have an outstanding review request  (
https://git.reviewboard.kde.org/r/105407/) which sets your current presence
from krunner.

The review has stalled because I didn't like the keyword used in the
runner. However I want to get this merged so I'm poking the ML.

Currently it wants the keyword "go" at the start of the runner (so a user
types "go offline", "go away") in order to change the presence.

I don't really like this because:
 - it sounds like an instruction, whereas really we're informing the
computer of our current situation. We're not telling the computer to be
busy, we're telling the computer we are busy
 - you can't ask a user to type in "go away", in English that's a phrase
with a different meaning

Possible options:
 - don't have a keyword. Simply type "online" "away" etc. (Would match
solid, with 'shutdown' etc)
 - "status online " "status away" (
 - "presence online" "presence away"
(though personally I'm not sure presence is a word we want to see publicly,
it's too nerdy/techie)

Can we have a brainstorm, throw out some ideas, and try and get a majority
vote on something.

Dave