Branches & git workflow

Dario Freddi drf54321 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 31 23:41:19 UTC 2012

2012/1/31 George Kiagiadakis <kiagiadakis.george at gmail.com>:
> On Tue, Jan 31, 2012 at 9:23 PM, David Edmundson
> <david at davidedmundson.co.uk> wrote:
>>>Are we going to release a 0.3.1
>>
>> Yes.
>>
>>> When,
>>
>> Dunno. I think we should be based on what's fixed rather than arbitrary times.
>>
>> There's some issues that got in with the text-ui if you have the
>> logger and join . that are now fixed that I want rolling out.
>>
>> I'm not aware of any other bugs that are suitable for backporting (right now)
>
> Remember, forward-porting ;)

Just to nitpick, since everyone knows I'm quite passionate about this topic:

 - Forward porting IS the way to go. All of the main KDE modules do
that, and we should as well
 - Forward porting means that everyone ALWAYS works in the stable
branch (0.3 in this case). You don't need to do the merge yourself - a
merge monkey, which might be me or somebody else, will periodically
merge for you
 - Every stable branch should ALWAYS be fully merged into master -
this means that every commit in a stable branch belong to master as
well
 - There is no room for screwing up - a single backport screws up
history entirely for subsequent merges and makes things very
difficult.

So let's try to get this right from the start - always work on the
stable branch unless you're planning a change to master only, and
let's try to find out who's gonna take care of periodic merges. We'll
talk about that at FOSDEM as well maybe?