Grouping messages into conversations [Was: Log Viewer for 0.4]

Daniele E. Domenichelli daniele.domenichelli at gmail.com
Thu Jan 19 19:17:15 UTC 2012

On 19/01/12 19:58, Vishesh Handa wrote:
> How do you group messages into conversations? As in how do you consider
> these all messages are part of a single conversation.

Good question... And the answer is that I don't know it :D
Of course for the mail you can group them by thread, like any mail
client does, but for Telepathy it is different because we don't have
threads or similar. Another problem is that sometimes I start a
conversation with someone with skype, then I switch to jabber, then one
goes offline and the conversation continues by e-mail.
We will have to come out with a very clever solution and write some
paper about it, but in the meanwhile we can split on a daily base, or
using some other solution based on the time between messages.

Daniele

P.S. I just had this very clever idea! We could search for i18n("Hello")
in the log and have a greetings based clustering of messages! :D