gsoc - suggestions

David Edmundson david at davidedmundson.co.uk
Wed Feb 29 17:42:22 UTC 2012

[Replying CC'ing the Mailing List]

On Wed, Feb 29, 2012 at 5:25 PM, Janardhan Reddy
<annapareddyjanardhanreddy at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Sir,
> i would like to work on collaborative editor in telepathy but i haven't done
> any course in operational transform
> but i am very much interested in doing this project.
>
> I am reading about operational transform, could you please give me links on
> how to get started.
>
> Information about me:
> I have started contributing to open source from december 2011. I have
> submitted 10-15 patches in digikam and out of them 10 were comitted.
> After that i have been working on digikam on multithreading.you can see my
> work here
> http://cia.vc/stats/author/Janardhan%20Reddy
>
> Regards
> A Janardhan Reddy
> 2nd year Computer Science Student
> IIT Madras
> India

Fantastic to hear from you. As a full time academic researcher I can
expertly say the best resource for anything computer science is here;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operational_transformation.

I'm not expecting you to be a genius at on this topic before you
start, what is important is you understand the complexities involved
in building a collaborative editor and hopefully you can start to have
a bit of a think about what you need to do to work round this problem,
and in your official proposal plan your timescales accordingly.

In terms of other things, it's worth trying to learn a bit about
Telepathy (http://gnomejournal.org/article/86/telepathy-overview),
Stream/Dbus Tubes, and maybe joining us on IRC at #kde-telepathy and
maybe helping fix a few things in KDE Telepathy so you get to know our
code and we get to know you a bit better.

One of our best developers in our team came from working on Digikam so
you're looking promising already :)

Keep in touch.

Regards
David Edmundson