Account Icon in KDE Telepathy

Daniele E. Domenichelli daniele.domenichelli at gmail.com
Tue Feb 14 17:11:15 UTC 2012

Hello,

(I'm CC'ing the artists team because I'm interested in knowing their
opinion as well.)

One of the features that we are still missing in KDE Telepathy is the
possibility to set a custom icon to an account, useful to distinguish
two accounts using the same protocol.

Kopete had this interesting feature that lets you pick any colour for
the icon, and the "standard" icon for the protocol and then is rendered
using that colour as an effect.
This is not possible for telepathy, because we don't have an icon-color
property (perhaps we could try to have it directly in telepathy specs,
but I'm not sure if this is a good idea and if they would accept it
upstream), the only thing that we can do at the moment is just set a
custom icon.

We could just let the user choose any icon, but in my opinion this is a
little too much for the standard user because he probably don't want to
be able to choose any icon, but wants just to be able to distinguish the
accounts.

Therefore I'm thinking that we could have for each profile (for artists
team a "profile" can be either a protocol like "jabber" or "msn", but
also a special profile like "gtalk" or "facebook" that use the jabber
protocol but have their own icon) one "official" icon named
red, green, blue, cyan, magenta, yellow). Then instead of using the
standard icon chooser, we could have something like this [1] or [2].
(Perhaps we could add a "More" button to show the standard icon chooser).

Another possibility, is to have just one icon, save the colour by
"appending" it to the icon name, and then "remove" it from the name and
draw it using the effects. That seems to me a bit harder, because it
requires to modify it in every place where the icons are used (even
though for most of them we probably need just to modify the data()
method from the account model).

Finally another way to do this could be to implement in KIcon some
special syntax to apply automatically a colour as effect from the
icon-name (for example something like "im-jabber#red" or "im-jabber#FF0000")

What do you think? Do you have any better idea?

Cheers,
  Daniele

[1]http://wstaw.org/m/2012/02/10/snapshot46.png
[2]http://wstaw.org/m/2012/02/10/snapshot47.png