The GSOC Thread

Daniele E. Domenichelli daniele.domenichelli at gmail.com
Wed Feb 8 13:40:52 UTC 2012

On 08/02/12 13:08, David Edmundson wrote:
> Telepathy setup for KDE multiplayer games. Should be fairly simple,
> especially with the contactGridWidget we already have.
> Is this even 3 months work? Maybe if they port all the games.

Last time I checked, KsirK was implementing internally the whole xmpp
protocol... I don't know if internally it uses some kind of xep or if it
has something like a streamtube or what else. Anyway it shouldn't be
very hard to implement port it.
I don't know which other games allow online multiplayer at the moment,
but taking at least a couple of them and implement multiplaying could be
interesting. A good GSoC in my opinion could be:
  - Porting KsirK to use Telepathy
  - Implement multiplayer in one "static" game (board/card game)
  - Writing some sort of gaming library for measuring latency over
    telepathy for "dynamic" games (ksnake or similar) and implement
    multiplayer in another game
One games could be implemented using streamtubes and the other using
DBusTubes

Anyway we need to work on this together with the kde-games team...

Daniele