Disabling presence control when no network is available

Weng Xuetian wengxt at gmail.com
Mon Dec 10 19:34:56 UTC 2012

On Mon, Dec 10, 2012 at 2:21 PM, David Edmundson <david at davidedmundson.co.uk
> wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 10, 2012 at 10:52 AM, Weng Xuetian <wengxt at gmail.com> wrote:

> disabled

> >> Looks awesome!
> >>
> >> Is there a way to override the "No Network" status in case
> NetworkManager
> >> goes
> >> nuts?
> >>
> >> Dan
> >>
> > Yeah I also concern about this. There ARE some case if a network
> environment
> > only have "lo", but it use some other way to built a proxy with only "lo"
> > interface.
> >
> > For example,
> > Android phone, setup a proxy on the phone and redirect by adb (I know
> this
> > is a VERY rare case... but I have use it several times, don't argue why I
> > use this werid setup.. this is only for an example).
> >
> > So warn user about no network is good, but in some case it's still useful
> > make user can force the connection. Even proxy is not supported right
> now..

> In order to do that you would have to disable network manager (right?)
> if network manager is not running solid you will be in state unknown
> and not disconnected. At which point we won't show this.
>
> It's worth noting that mission-control-5 won't connect if NM is
> running and reports you as offline. So having the controls (this
> patch) won't actually help with anything.

Well.. actually I didn't disable nm (it just running but no wireless, no
cable is plug-in).

Thanks for the info about mission-control-5, and yes.. this case is quite
rare.. I also doubt if any one really use network in this way..

So.. if people are using NM connection detect with mission-control, they
already trust NM will not... go wild .. no?