DBus deadlock with mpris player

Simon Persson simonpersson1 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 1 12:39:56 UTC 2012

On Wednesday 01 August 2012 10:53:02 George Kiagiadakis wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 1, 2012 at 5:02 AM, Simon Persson <simonpersson1 at gmail.com>
wrote:
> > I'm not sure where to point the blame here.. applications or ktp.. but
> > maybe the kded module could sleep a few seconds after detecting a new
> > mpris player before it starts probing it??
>
> No, this is not a solution to a deadlock situation. The real problem
> is that both applications use QtDBus synchronously to talk to each
> other. This is *wrong*. It may become a little bit trickier because
> the QtDBus API is not optimized for asynchronous operations, but it
> should really be used asynchronously. This way, no application would
> block and wait for the other to answer and there would be no deadlock.
>
> Therefore, this is a bug in both ktp and your application.

OK, I'm not very experienced with DBus, was thinking that some things needed
to be done synchronously. But if it can be avoided, then of course every user
should strive to do that. Especially plugins in a shared process.

When I have some more time I will try to look into what QtDBus class
constructors and functions are synchronous, and what alternatives there are..
to see if the offenders in phonon and kio can be replaced.

Oh... and as someone who just recently tried ktp, thank you! To the whole
team! My biggest annoyance was the way notifications work, which is a minor
thing. Positively surprised about the level of features and stability. Very
cool to have video chat on my laptop now! And I see great potential in being
able to use a contact list plasmoid on my plasma dashboard instead of the
application, didn't quite work yet though. Looking forward to see what you
guys come up with... almost a bit tempted to help out. :) but, so many things
I wanna do..

Simon