Plasmoid presence setting and displaying

David Edmundson david at davidedmundson.co.uk
Sun May 29 20:25:12 CEST 2011

Looks cool guys, I particularly like the mockups.

Trying to steer this somewhere:
 - Lets focus purely on the presence side of things. I want a presence
plasmoid in this release. We don't have time for both.

Am I right in thinking the discussion has moved to "there should be a global
presence, or if the user configures/clicks something they see it on a
per-account basis instead."?

I want to push the conversation into "here are the problems with the
designs" and then we can work to fix them.

1) How do we show the user if one of his accounts is different to the global
state?

If an account changes status different to the global status we need a way to
see it. i.e I can set my global status online - (all accounts come online)
then change my gmail status from within the web browser, I need to be able
to see that it's changed. We need to respond to external changes but how do
we show this? I like someone's suggestion "online (custom)", and then an
arrow that presumably expands on a per-account basis. But is this clear
enough? Would you know what "online (custom)" meant.

2) What is the "global state" when all his accounts are different"?

What do we decide is the current global presence shown? The most common
presence amongst the accounts or the highest presence (i.e if I'm online in
one account, and offline in 3 others) am I "offline" globally or "online".
Or is it the last thing the user explicitly set the global presence to? We
cannot take the assumption that no-one else is modifying our statuses, so
this could get messy.

3) If my account fails to connect I need to /immediately/ see this. How?

Is a notification enough? They're not persistent.