Plasmoid presence setting and displaying

David Edmundson david at davidedmundson.co.uk
Fri May 27 12:12:09 CEST 2011

2011/5/27 Martin Klapetek <martin.klapetek at gmail.com>

> 2011/5/27 David Edmundson <david at davidedmundson.co.uk>
>

>> On Fri, May 27, 2011 at 7:34 AM, Francesco Nwokeka <
>> francesco.nwokeka at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Depends. How I see it, it's the easiest. But yeah, if I have more than
>>> one account, I might want to
>>> go online all at once. With this solution we could solve the problem for
>>> status reading "on-the-fly"
>>> by changing the taskbar icon (don't know if that's possible with
>>> plasmoids).
>>> But what if I want to go online with just one account?
>>>

>> Nwoki did you see how the old plasmoid worked? there was an entry for each
>> account then one for "All accounts". Not sure how this could work for the
>> contact list. I don't really like having a mix.
>>
>> There are two questions to deal with when it comes to global presence:
>>    How do we decide which is the 'current' presence to show to a user.
>>
>>    What would we do if I set one account to 'away' and then all of them to
>> 'available' does the first one change?
>>
>> Personally I'm all for connecting them to the same global presence and
>> getting rid of per-account statuses. What sort of nutter would claim to be
>> away in one place but not another, but if you take away the options some
>> users will complain loudly. Users love complaining.

>>> global
>>> wont
>>>

>> Not in this release - we have no mechanism to store extra metadata on an
>> account (and there's no point making one till the nepomuk stuff comes in in
>> the summer).
>>
>> Also how would this work from a UI point of view, in the contact list
>> having one button for every account except Facebook, and then one button for
>> Facebook on it's own...I can't picture it in a non-confusing way.
>>
>> Empathy gets by simply by having the global presence and being able to
>> "disable" accounts.
>>

> I was thinking about that - I propose an option to either show a global
> presence setting or per account setting in contact list. So instead of all
> those buttons, there would be a drop-down menu. This should be rather easy
> to do so. I think.

+1 from me.

Only thing to consider is that if we put all the accounts online and one of
them failed due to a wrong password or network etc., we need a way to see
it. So far the only method is the account buttons.

Would it make sense for nwoki's plasmoid to read the same config file and
show either a single presence changer or one per account.