Presence Plasmoid REMAKE

David Edmundson david at davidedmundson.co.uk
Wed May 25 15:23:50 CEST 2011

On Tue, May 24, 2011 at 2:35 PM, David Edmundson <david at davidedmundson.co.uk
> wrote:

> Forwarded a message from nwoki about the presence plasmoid.
>
> Nwoki: You may as well stick to the main ML, unless it's something
> particularly secret.

Been playing around with it, got some cool stuff - tested adding/removing
accounts with it running, that all behaves. I'm quite pleased.

Bug/TODO List:

 - all the presences are in lower case (i.e "available" not "Available") as
we are directly displaying id values. Not looked at your code, but I'd guess
this means it's not translated either. It should probably go through a map
of id -> translated pretty name.

(possibly this should be in the dataengine, it could have a global map of
presence IDs -> presence icon + presence readable name.)

 - Doesn't behave in a panel for me.

 - I'm not sure you'd ever want to open the accounts KCM in such a hurry
that we need a link.

- If you try to connect an account that then fails (i.e password wrong), the
plasmoid still says "available".
   We also don't get an error notification because the CL isn't running..but
that's a much bigger issue for another day.

- You've made CMake check that the contact-list is installed - as we have a
button to launch it. This isn't a "compile dependency" so shouldn't really
be in the CMake file. It should either be - a dependency at a packaging
level, or ideally a run time check and only show the button if it's
available (not sure we can do that with plasma JS bindings).

- Would be really cool if we could see the protocol icon next to the name of
the account somewhere. I think this requires a dataengine change.

- /All/ the avatars flash when any connection changes

Having said that, I'm 100% happy for you to push to review (and then over
the top of the old repo after review) as it currently is. Then we can slowly
fix all the tiny issues together.

Dave