Season of KDE proposal: Collaborative edition in Kate

Daniele E. Domenichelli daniele.domenichelli at gmail.com
Fri May 6 10:49:01 CEST 2011

Hello,

On 05/05/2011 11:26 PM, Marc Mauri Alloza wrote:
> I'm preparing my proposal for Season of KDE. This week I've been
> talking with people of kde-telepathy and kobby to get information
> about how this should be implemented. I have a doubt about where
> this should be implemented. Maybe inside KatePart or as a subclass
> of KatePart? The goal is that my work could be reused easily in
> other projects with a minimum (or zero) impact on code of the
> application that wants to adopt the collaborative edition features.

I don't know where this should be implemented, probably in KatePart, but
you should ask this to kate people...
Anyway, how do you plan to use telepathy with kobby and/or the infinote
protocol?
I had a look at this last summer (before my gsoc proposal) and I didn't
come to an easy solution...

You could tunnel the protocol using a streamtube, (and that's quite easy
to do) but then you get a protocol that handles connection, chat, etc.
transported into another protocol that handles connection, chat etc, and
that's quite ugly and redundant.

Another option is to support only a subset of the inifinote protocol
stripping all the unneeded stuff and let telepathy handle connection and
chat and just use a streamtube to transport the collaborative editing
messages, but I didn't investigate the protocol that much and I don't
know if this is possible.

Last option is to strip the infinote protocol from the unneeded stuff,
write a XMPP XEP (there is probably something similar already), add a
new channel type to the telepathy-spec and implement it in
telepathy-glib, telepathy-gabble, telepathy-qt4 and finally use it in kate!

Last one is probably the hardest method, but definitely the cleanest...
and that's why I support it. :-D
Unluckily it is also the less related to kde (and that's also the reason
why I abandoned the idea of collaborative editing using telepathy in kde
for last summer gsoc).
If you choose this method you should definitely talk about this with
xmpp and telepathy developers before starting.

Cheers,
 Daniele

P.S. Please don't feel discouraged from this, I really support the idea
of collaborative editing using telepathy, but I don't like the idea of a
quick hack just to make it work! ;)