On the presence applet

Dario Freddi drf54321 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 30 15:53:40 CEST 2011

Hi guys,

as David asked me, I am sharing some of the plans I had for the applet, given
that a lot of time has passed since we started thinking about it.

Let's clear out the nerdy details:

 - It will be a pure QML applet, to be future-proof and consistent with where
Plasma is going
 - The dataengine which should back it up is almost ready and is in master
 - It will be implemented as a popupapplet meant to sit in the tray

Let's see what we wanted the applet to do, and let's try to get the ideas
together. A mockup of what I intend to present as a main interface is here:
http://i.imgur.com/q8myz.png
In my clone, instead, you can find a working qml mockup+a semi working proto
applet in QML which illustrates how the presence selector works

The idea is that what you see can be changed: presence, nickname, status and
avatar, just by clicking on them. As soon as you click on something, the field
will change into a lineedit which lets you enter the desired value.

A possibile different option is to have an "edit" button, which flips the
applet and provides all the line edits and stuff.

Any further ideas/objections?

--

Dario Freddi
KDE Developer