Why using Nepomuk as a contact store is probably not a good idea

Daniele E. Domenichelli daniele.domenichelli at gmail.com
Fri Jul 22 15:53:42 CEST 2011

On 21/07/11 22:52, David Edmundson wrote:
> Oh those KJobs - I want to restore them. (this is a bit off topic, but
> anyway) we need to wrap the PendingChannel Tp classes in something in
> order to translate the error messages from raw codes into actual
> translatable useful strings. Restoring those KJobs would be a good
> approach.

We still need to figure out if the KJob approach is good... while it is
good for a file transfer, I'm not sure if it is good for starting a text
chat or a dbustube, maybe just a "regular" method is better.

> My point was trying to be that the computer eventually has to talk to
> telepathy, (via our code or via a library) at which point it could
> just find out presence in real time.

I agree, but if you think about it, it's the same for everything that
the contact can set, including name, avatar, etc., since we consider it
"volatile" (that means that if the contact changes his name, the old
name is deleted from Nepomuk and replaced by the new one)

An approach could be to have our library to talk to telepathy directly
but at the same time store only "events" on Nepomuk like name, presence,
avatar changes, etc., but still other applications using only Nepomuk
will need something to get the current information either using the
library, or extracting the values from Nepomuk events, but that would
require some knowledge and more complex queries. Or alternatively both
events and current values should be stored.

That's why I think that the approach that we are using at the moment is
a good approach for now...

Daniele