Why using Nepomuk as a contact store is probably not a good idea

Ivan Cukic ivan.cukic at kde.org
Thu Jul 21 03:08:50 CEST 2011

Just a few quick notes - I'm sleepy and not usually willing to get
involved into this sort of discussions.

- Nepomuk is meant to keep (amongst other things) contact data -
otherwise, NCO and PIMO wouldn't exist.
- The reason why Nepomuk is usually an optional dependency is that a large
portion of users (as in apps) were created in the pre-virtuoso era when
Nepomuk was still a bit unstable and slow
- Lately, a couple of core projects are discussing to make Nepomuk a hard
dep and to clean a lot of ifdefs from the code, so why wouldn't K-T be the
first to actually do it.
- While I agree that the knowledge should be mostly static, Virtuoso
handles updates quite well (like any other general-purpose database) and
creating a separate storage just for the volatile data would (IMO) be a
waste of resources (both man-power and user's cpu-power)

Anyway, I guess K-T people wouldn't mind you making a branch to create a
plugin-based storage backends, and to create a non-nepomuk one.

Cheerio!

--
There's so many different worlds, so many different suns
We have just one world, but we live in different ones