Integrating TP-Logger with KDE

David Edmundson david at davidedmundson.co.uk
Wed Feb 16 02:05:22 CET 2011

On Tue, Feb 15, 2011 at 8:35 PM, Stefano Sanfilippo <
stefano.k.sanfilippo at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi everybody,
>
> I've been inspecting telepathy-logger and empathy, for kde-telepathy Log
> integration.
>
> Eventually, I concluded that:
>  * TP logger grabs and record any active tube to Connection Managers, so no
>     need for explicit log recording setup (but an on/off configuration
>     switch, would be welcomed)
>  * TP Logger has a query API which relies on glib, besides dbus.
>
> For the latter point (log querying and display), I've written a glue Qt
> object, taking inspiration from [
> http://telepathy.freedesktop.org/wiki/Logger
> ].
>
> I think that the log viewer should be a standalone program (so when we
> enable
> nepomuk log indexing, we may use it as a popup viewer/ui component).
>
> It's quite important that we have a distinction here, we're talking about a
Qt library for reading Tp logs and about making a log viewer.
I would like to see them as two separate parts, such that the log access
library can be used by other people.

For the log viewer, I think it would be a good to re-use the ChatWidget for
displaying the main parts of the chats.
It's designed as a lib which can be used for such activity, though I'm sure
it'll need some tweaks to your needs.  It'll save you writing quite a large
amount of code.
I'm the lead of the chat component (d_ed on #kde-telepathy) if you need some
changes to the API (or some parts are poorly documented, pester me).

I'd also like to use the log interface to try and populate the chat window
with a few messages from your last chat. I want some sort of mechanism for
"give me the last n messages with this contact. This will be very similar
code to how I'm picturing the log viewer working with the chat widget, so we
should work closely on that.

It would be really cool to see some rough sketches of a log viewer before
you got too involved code writing and talk them through as a group. I really
quite like empathy's use of the calendar widget to list/filter the various
conversations, though there's plenty of improvements we can do over their
design.

> As soon as I've something usable, I will share it :) Since this is my first
> collaboration with kde-telepathy, I'd like to know where I should post my
> code: my github, or another sort of private/experimental repo?

Please use KDE's git tree. See Daniele email.

Most importantly, welcome!
Thanks for choosing to get involved, feel free to ask anything on the
mailing list and on IRC. We're a friendly bunch (honest)