What should be in the contact list

George Kiagiadakis kiagiadakis.george at gmail.com
Sat Feb 12 11:52:19 CET 2011

2011/2/11 David Edmundson <david at davidedmundson.co.uk>:

> We've all gone very off-topic from my original intentions of this thread.
> I was concerned that we'd thrown Martin in to writing the contact list with
> very little direction or plan of what we wanted for the /first/ release of
> the contact list, and I wanted to address this.
> Totally new massive designs (however awesome) aren't really helping in that
> regard.
> Can I ask that Daniele and George K write up their ideas on a wiki page
> somewhere (Mailing list threads tend to get lost over time) under some sort
> of brainstorm page. It seems apparent to me that at some point we do need to
> have a big discussion and work out what we're actually aiming to achieve and
> how. With lots of newer people in the project (including me) I'm not sure we
> all have the same vision.

Sure.

> Back to "What we should do in the first release?":

I think Daniele's idea is good and I like it more than mine. Having
the contacts in a popup plasma applet would be better than having a
window with them. So, to get back to the original topic, I propose the
following:

Let's develop a contact list app that behaves like a standalone IM
app. It shows contacts, accounts, ability to join rooms, everything.
Let's be pragmatic; in our current state, I think this will be the
fastest way to deliver something working to our users for a preview
release. As soon as we have that working, we can start experimenting
with the plasma applets and see how to adjust things to work for the
desktop-integrated IM scenario.

Of course when I say everything, I don't mean that everything is
required for the preview release. If the contact list has no way to
edit account information for example, I wouldn't care at all. I have
never used this feature in any IM app. So, use your judgement; if you
think something is not really necessary for a preview release, then it
isn't; just leave it out.

Regards,
George