GSOC 2011 ideas

Daniele E. Domenichelli daniele.domenichelli at gmail.com
Thu Feb 10 01:38:04 CET 2011

I don't know if this is premature for this...

Are we planning any method to add new actions to the contact list?

For example if I install my favourite chess application supporting
online gaming using DBusTubes, I would like to see a "Start a chess
game" menu item when I right click on a contact... I don't know if this
can be done querying mc, or if we need some sort of plugin system or
.desktop files.

Also I want to be able to start a game with people in group "friends"
but I don't want it for people in group "work" and I want to see the
menu item if he actually support it (so, no chess menu item if my
contact don't have the game installed)
And maybe I want to edit the menu order, sort actions, add separators...

All of this should be done at library level, so that if I have a
plasmoid on my desktop showing just one person or one group I see the
same actions and there should be some configuration widget.

Maybe we can use nepomuk to store preferences and to query which actions
are allowed for contacts.

Another cool feature could be to reverse the query, so instead having a
contact list, we can have a list of actions (including chat, send file,
etc.) and when one is clicked, we get a list of the persons that are
allowed, that are online and that support it.

Cheers,
 Daniele