Integrate an open social network into KDE SC

Niels Ole Salscheider niels_ole at salscheider-online.de
Sun Dec 11 14:02:54 UTC 2011

CC'ing kde-telepathy at kde.org

Hello,

while it is "cool" from a technical point of view to see some efforts to
integrate Facebook & Co. into KDE SC, I think that we, as a community around
free software, should try to integrate a social network built around open
standards, too.

Given the recent move of discussions to Google+ in the open source community,
there seems to be a demand for social networks (even though I am happy with
mailing lists, blogs and IRC). But after all, Google+ is not much better than
Facebook: Google might be friendlier towards the open source world but it is a
closed network built around proprietary technologies after all.

Unfortunately, there are not any good alternatives. While there are many small
projects trying to solve this issue, none of these is big enough to gain
momentum and become a real competitor to Facebook & Co.

Because of that, I want to propose to push for a social network based on XMPP
(maybe reusing the efforts done by OneSocialWeb) and integrate it well into KDE
SC (really well, not just the obvious stuff). The reason why it should use XMPP
is that there are already many mail providers offering XMPP based chat services
and I bet that these providers would like to offer social network extensions,
too, if there was an easy way. Each provider alone does not have a big market
share; but considering that about half of my friends that are not open source
related use an email provider that offers XMPP (GMX, web.de, 1&1, Google Mail,
...), the complete network could have enough members to gain momentum.

Of course, this will not happen if we do not work together with other
projects: We need to get together with the OneSocialWeb team so that they
finish their XEPs (maybe even help them and make suggestions how to improve the
drafts). We also need the important XMPP servers (ejabberd, ...) to support it
and to find a project that wants to improve the web interface OSW started to
implement. Meanwhile we should implement the draft in KDE SC, too (this might
actually be an unique selling point for both, KDE SC (5) and XMPP/OSW).

I know there might be reservation to put effort into such a project until the
standards are finished and there are enough users. But if we do not show
commitment and work simultaneously on this, each project will just wait for
the others to take a step and nothing will ever happen.
I cannot promise that this will work out but I think that it is our only
chance to build a real alternative to the closed social networks. And I am
confident that we could win quite an amount of users, at least in the open
source community and from the mail providers already offering XMPP.

What do you think?

Regards,

Ole