Plasma Chat widget

Lasath Fernando kde at lasath.org
Sun Aug 28 12:19:38 UTC 2011

Right, I hacked on this day before yesterday, and I think I made some progress.

The code so far is in my clone (called qmlplugin, in a branch called qmlplugin)
http://quickgit.kde.org/?p=clones%2Ftelepathy-chat-handler%2Ffernando%2Fqmlplugin.git&a=summary
http://quickgit.kde.org/?p=clones%2Ftelepathy-chat-handler%2Ffernando%2Fqmlplugin.git&a=shortlog&h=refs/heads/qmlplugin

I made the QML plugin compile into ktelepathy_chat_lib because I don't
really know how to make a Qt/KDE library. I'm also not very proficient
with CMAKE, so I've had to hardcode the path it installed to (on my
machine) in a file called qmldir in the plasmoid/contents/ui
directory.
Can one of you guys write a cmake target to install the plasmoid and
make it find the correct path at runtime? Or better yet, explain to me
how to do so..
That is, IF we decide to ship this directly as part of
telepathy-chat-handler of course.

As for the plasmoid itself, I decided to use the original mockup I
made while learning QML rather than starting again (although I _may_
regret that later). There's just a ListView that displays everything
from the QML plugin, which is an AbstractListModel. I used the
suggestion from oggis_ and created a Tp::ContactMessenger with a
hardcoded account and contact. It shows received/sent messages atm,
though I couldn't send messages (I think the version of
mission-control I'm using is way too old).

I'm not quite sure where to go from here though. And as for the way I
structured my plugin, I did that mostly by groping in the dark hoping
things will 'just work'. Though it's not ready for testing yet, I'd
prefer if someone can look through my code and check if it's somewhat
sane before I proceed any further. (This is the first KDE thing I've
written on my own)
I'm open for suggestions and will be happy to make any changes
necessary, even if it means scrapping most of it and starting again
(although c'mon I must have got at least _something_ right ;-).

On Thu, Aug 18, 2011 at 10:40 PM, Lasath Fernando <kde at lasath.org> wrote:

>> No. It's hardly started.
>>

> Sorry about that - Uni has be absolutely kicking my butt lately. I
> promise I'll start properly working on it as soon as I can though.

----
Cheers,
Lasath