Notes from Gnome IM Integration BOF

David Edmundson david at davidedmundson.co.uk
Fri Aug 12 10:46:05 UTC 2011

George K and I went to the Gnome IM Integration BOF to ask a load of
annoying questions. They were really helpful and we got a lot sorted
out.

Below is a poorly worded in list of the discussed relevant parts. It's
mostly just a brain dump so I don't forget and have a pernament record
of what we said.

---

Network manager code is to go into Mission Control. This will involve
disconnecting accounts when the network drops, or we suspend the
machine. Also discussed disabling webcams etc. on low bandwidth
connections. This is an absolute win.

CM disconnecting when no handlers are available was discussed. Will
Thompson seemed to word it as "when no approvers are running", which
is a bit different to what we want. We want when "there is nothing
which can show/set a presence". Emailed him our logs/discussions. It
seems they want this feature, but actual implementation needs further
discussion.

Discussion on what a global presence should show. They decided (and
we're going to steal) it shows the "current status" when you're fixed.
If any account is changingStatus it shows the status you're trying to
go to along with a spinning loading icon.

We need to ack messages in the text UI when the user _sees_ the
message, not when we get them.

In order to get a chat handler in plasma we need to do the following:
 - Create a plasmoid that acts as a handler.
 - Need "DelegateChannel" method in TpQt4
 - When we start a chat from the contact list, no matter what the
preffered handler is the plasmoid would intercept it (as it is
running)
 - To avoid this we can pass a hint to the handler, the chat plasmoid
should check for this hint (delegateToPreservedHandler) and delegate
it to start the real Text UI.
 - We can convert from handler to observer in the plasmoid by calling
the delegate method.
 - Chat Plasmoid then becomes an observer.

Gnome people also have no idea about a good way to handle "set avatar"
on a per account basis or working out what to show when you have
different ones. They were also talking about how it integrated with
setting the one for the user account too.

George K asked about moving get/setGlobalPresence into TpQt4 or MC.
They have it in TPGlib. We all agreed on what presence order makes
sense.  Fallbacks when setting presences happens in MC so we don't
need to worry about it. Agreed that it makes sense to go in TpQt4
(it's just a foreach loop) needs confirmation with oggis/andrunko.