KDE Telepathy Nepomuk questions

George Goldberg grundleborg at googlemail.com
Sun Apr 3 12:35:44 CEST 2011

Elaborating a little further on my previous email:

On 3 April 2011 11:23, George Goldberg <grundleborg at googlemail.com> wrote:
> 2011/4/3 David Edmundson <david at davidedmundson.co.uk>:
>> Or my chat handler (sorry, text-ui) I'm dealing with contacts here (not
>> people) as you only care about the state on the interface you're chatting
>> on. It seems pointless for me to make a Nepomuk::Contact from my Tp::Contact
>> which I have in the channel, then monitor the changes that happen to the
>> nepomuk::Contact as it's just a layer of complexity in the middle which
>> doesn't give me anything.
>
> At the implementation level, sure, you are dealing with Contacts, but
> what does this mean to the user - he/she is talking to another Person.
> The Nepomuk integration allows us to make this connection, from a
> Tp::Contact to a Person. I'd say this is a perfect example of where
> you *should* use the Nepomuk integration in some way.

In practical terms, I'd imagine it working something like this: use
the Tp::TextChannel directly to send/receive messages, displaying the
messages on the screen etc, but for the details of the participants,
there would be some API in telepathy-kde to take a Tp::TextChannel
and from it get a KTelepathy::ContactSet and/or corresponding
KTelepathy::PersonSet of the participants, so that you gain all the
data stored in Nepomuk about them for use as you see fit in the
participants list and/or any other place.

>> ---
>> Despite the line "although applications can access the Telepathy data
>> directly from Nepomuk" I didn't see any interface to do that (is it just not
>> done yet). For me it's quite a big thing, we should never try to "abstract
>> telepathy" so you can't reach it, only add layers on top for UI and
>> metadata.
>
> It's called the Nepomuk API (in kdelibs). There is no Telepathy
> specific API because, again, the entire point of applications being
> able to access data direct from Nepomuk is for those apps which don't
> know or care about the existence of Telepathy (e.g. KMail).

Clarifying this a bit: These applications would be interested in the
particular data we (Telepathy) have stored, but do not need or want to
be aware of the fact that it is Telepathy that is doing the storing,
or the Telepathy APIs. E.g. KAddressbook might want to display the
presence status of the people in the addressbook, but in order to do
this, should not have to be aware of KDE-Telepathy or use our APIs. It
can just get this data with an ordinary Nepomuk query on
nco:IMAccounts and their associated properties.

--
George