Some ideas I had for Kopete

George Goldberg grundleborg at googlemail.com
Tue Sep 28 21:44:18 CEST 2010

2010/9/22 Luiz Romário Santana Rios <luizromario at gmail.com>:
> I think identities are useful when two or more people share the same
> computer and don't need/want to create  several accounts. Or when a guest
> wants to use their account without messing up his contacts with local user's
> ones - which is part of my idea, as seen in my first mockup.

Ah, I think I see the point now, particularly the guest case.

For two users sharing an account, unfortunately I don't think we can
support this. The key reason is that we make extensive use of Nepomuk
and deep integration into the KDE environment, none of which allow for
multiple users on one account in a sane way. So, for now I don't think
there's anything we can do.

For "guest" logins, I think we could possibly work something out (use
a separate instance of t-i-d and a separate temporary Nepomuk Main
Model etc might be possible) I'm really not sure exactly what would be
needed but this seems like a starting point. However, this is still
going to be difficult because Telepathy itself would not be aware of
the different contexts.

> Anyway, I had those ideas for Kopete, and they wouldn't be much difficult to
> implement over there, since identities are already implemented. But I see
> that what you guys are doing has a fairly different concept in which
> identities will probably not fit, so I'm looking for something else to do.

If you want to get some ideas, or have some more of your own which
you'd like to discuss with us, #kde-telepathy on IRC is the place for
quick feedback and evolutionary discussion of ideas.

Looking forward to hearing more interesting stuff from you :)

--
George