Some ideas I had for Kopete

Daniele E. Domenichelli daniele.domenichelli at gmail.com
Wed Sep 22 12:43:22 CEST 2010

On 09/22/2010 10:36 AM, George Goldberg wrote:
>> Anyways, the mockups Edmundson asked me to send here:
>> Old, incomplete mockup. If you don't understand something,
>> ask: http://img844.imageshack.us/img844/2646/ideiaskopete.png
>
> At the moment, Telepathy does not support the concept of "identities"
> as was supported in Kopete. I believe that if this were to be
> implemented, there would need to be some support at the level of the
> Telepathy specification (otherwise some applications would be aware of
> identities, but others would not).

I think that the concept of "Identities" could be more or less like
having several PIMO::Persons instead of just "myself".

It \could\ be done, I think, but the only reason I can see in having
identities is that we might want to support several persons that for
some reason share the same account, or we might want to support people
suffering a dissociative identity disorder. Like me. And also me.

This means that if you really need 2 identities, you probably also want
2 different contact lists and 2 different presence plasmoid, so that
each person can manage its own stuff, I don't see the point in having
complex applications with all contacts mixed. The only app that should
"show" the identities should be the kcm module for accounts configuration.

There might be good reasons why one might want 2 identities. anyway the
whole KDE supports just 1 person per account (just check system
settings/account details) so I don't think we want to support this at
the moment.

 Daniele and Daniele