Some ideas I had for Kopete

George Goldberg grundleborg at googlemail.com
Wed Sep 22 10:36:48 CEST 2010

Hi

2010/9/22 Luiz Romário Santana Rios <luizromario at gmail.com>:
> Hi.
> Long history short: I had those ideas for Kopete, because I saw identities
> in Kopete, but I saw no big use for them. Then, when I started to study
> Kopete to implement these, someone told me; "Kopete will probably not last
> much, check out KDE-Telepathy".
> That's why I'm here.

Welcome :)

> Anyways, the mockups Edmundson asked me to send here:
> Old, incomplete mockup. If you don't understand something,
> ask: http://img844.imageshack.us/img844/2646/ideiaskopete.png

At the moment, Telepathy does not support the concept of "identities"
as was supported in Kopete. I believe that if this were to be
implemented, there would need to be some support at the level of the
Telepathy specification (otherwise some applications would be aware of
identities, but others would not).

> A little mockup I did in my notebook (a bit better IMO, but more
> incomplete): http://img830.imageshack.us/img830/9614/argh.png
> The main idea here is to make identites idependent, unlike they are right
> now (a single contact list for two or more identities simply does not make
> sense to me). And also, if the user does not need more than one identity,
> the application won't bother him with identities configurations.
> Note that: Identity = set of accounts and information (name, address, etc.)
> that belong to a single person.

Personally, I'm not convinced this is useful, but I'm ready to be
persuaded otherwise. Are there meaningful use-cases for identities
support? Do people actually make much use of the identities support in
Kopete?

George

--
George Goldberg