Problems with NCO::IMAccount

Dario Freddi drf54321 at gmail.com
Tue May 11 13:11:53 CEST 2010

Hello people,

I'm writing you about some issues I found with NCO::IMAccount. These days, I'm
adding to Nepomuk the relevant information for Audio/Video chat support, and I
found some problems with the ontology itself.

Audio/Video chat support in Nepomuk is implemented through a different class,
{Audio,Video}IMAccount. This creates the 2 following problems for me:

 - It is not guaranteed that an account capable of sending videos is capable
of sending audio as well. I know, it's a weird case, but it might happen:
however, this cannot be dealt with with the current ontology, where
VideoIMAccount c AudioIMAccount.

 - The second one, which is slightly more serious, is the fact that a contact
capability of sending Audio or Video might change in time, and I really don't
know if it is possible to change the class of a Resource. Also, is there a
sane way, given a resource, to find out if it is a subclass of something?

In the meanwhile (just for avoiding getting stuck), I added to Telepathy
ontology 2 bool fields, supports{Video,Audio}, but I'd really like to see this
fixed upstream, as I consider what I did in my ontology a temporary
workaround. However, I think that something similar - more than adding some
subclasses - would work out better.

--

Dario Freddi
KDE Developer